A 93-year-old resident at a California house for older adults has died after reportedly consuming dishwashing liquid that gave the impression to be juice over the weekend, in line with officers.
The girl was amongst three residents at Atria Park Senior Residing Facility in San Mateo positioned within the Hillsdale neighborhood who was rushed to the hospital on Sunday after “mistakenly being served dishwashing liquid as consuming juice,” the ability informed KRON-TV in a press release.
“We’ve been working with native authorities, who’ve knowledgeable us that one resident handed away. Our sincerest condolences are with the household,” Atria Park added.
Marcia Cutchin informed KRON-TV the girl was her mom, Gertrude Maxwell, and that Maxwell suffered from dementia and was unable to feed herself.
“Many individuals, like my mom, it’s important to maintain a cup to her mouth and tip it into her mouth,” Cutchin informed the information outlet.
Cutchin additionally claimed her mom had “extreme blistering of her mouth and throat and esophagus” when she arrived on the hospital.
The substance reportedly given to Maxwell, who’s survived by eight youngsters and 20 grandchildren, was an “alkaline cleansing resolution that eats protein,” Cutchin stated.
The San Mateo Police Division confirmed the incident Monday night time on Fb.
Officers have been dispatched to the care facility round 8:10 p.m., and “started a complete investigation and discovered three house care residents have been hospitalized after ingesting poisonous chemical compounds,” authorities stated on Fb.
“Tragically, one of many three residents, a 93-year-old feminine, was pronounced deceased at an area hospital,” authorities added. “SMPD Detectives are actively investigating this case collectively with the California Division of Social Providers Ombudsman, and Atria Hillsdale is cooperating with this investigation.”
The power has confirmed that “the staff concerned have been suspended till this investigation concludes,” Individuals studies.
“We’ll proceed working with the police and Division of Social Providers to totally overview and assess the incident, after which we’ll take further actions as wanted,” Atria Park stated in a press release. “The protection and well-being of our residents stay our high priorities always.”
In March 2021, an official investigation was launched over the Atria facility missing ample employees to fulfill residents’ wants. The report additionally detailed a number of incidents of the employees not being “certified” to offer nursing care.
HuffPost has reached out to Atria Park Senior Residing Facility for remark.